Thursday, August 07, 2008

Today Is International 'I Just Lost The Game' Day

(speaking of which, I just lost the game)

What?!?!? You are unfamiliar with the game?!?!? Allow me to fill you in (he said with a devious smile...)

From Wikipedia:

"The Game is an ongoing mind game, the objective of which is to avoid thinking about the Game itself. Thinking about the Game constitutes loss, which, according to the rules of the Game, must then be announced. The Game is continuous—once a player stops thinking about the Game, they stop losing. The game is estimated to have millions of players worldwide."

The Rules (also from Wikipedia):

"There are three main rules to the Game:

1. Everyone in the world is playing the Game. (Sometimes narrowed to: "Everybody in the world who knows about the Game, is playing the Game.", or alternatively, "You are always playing the game.")
2. Whenever you think about The Game, you lose.
3. Loss must be announced.

As a variation, some players allow a grace period during which a player can not lose The Game again, after they have lost once. This can range from just a few seconds to half an hour."

So there it is. I remember when I first learned of The Game. Friends and I would do everything in our powers NOT to think of it but when we did we would 'announce' it in devious ways to throw each other off. I remember when I was 18 my friend went so far as to write, in red lipstick, on the bathroom mirror "I JUST LOST THE GAME... AND SO DID YOU!"

Ah ridiculous mind games...

No comments: