Monday, August 04, 2008

A Statement Followed By My Response Followed By My Explanation Of Said Response

She wrote:

"Do you know what hate really is?
It's unrequited love"

I responded:

"I have spent the past few years coming to the conclusion that unrequited love (on the part of the giver) is actually one of the strongest forms of passion there is. With unrequited love you are constantly forced to examine yourself under such a microscope do determine why you even bother. In most people's eyes, "they don't feel the same for me as I do for them" equates to "it's probably better to just walk away." Yet in some cases that becomes extremely difficult.

Assume for a moment that you are the type of person who believes in the 'one perfect soulmate'. You stumble across all the essential qualities you are looking for in a person. The two of you get to know each other at great lengths. You have devoted time and emotion in building up a spark between you. Your feelings grow until one day you can't keep them in any longer. They do not reciprocate. Now you are posed with a dilemma, can you just walk away knowing full well that they are everything you could ever want and more?

In my experience, passion this deep doesn't often exist in relationships for a long enough period of time. But there are people out there who burden themselves with this type of dead-end passion forever.

Just my two cents of course."

-------------------------------

I met someone a few years back who matched my personal criteria tenfold. I had always assumed that she was beyond my reach. With time we became passing acquaintances, then kind of friends, and shortly thereafter extremely close. I held my feelings inside for months. Finally I couldn't keep it in anymore and explained how I felt. She didn't take it well and stopped speaking to me for a bit. We have since grown back together knowing full well that I still hold these feelings for her to an extent. It's not as strong as it was that fateful day when I poured my heart out to her but I'd be lying if I said that she didn't cross my mind once on a while.

Sometimes it's hard to swallow that passion. Most relationships have a honeymoon period of varying length. Unrequited love is similar to that; a honeymoon period experienced by one lonely soul.

No comments: